Sunday, October 25, 2009

Credits

Before I return to ordinary life and this blog becomes completely uninteresting, I think I should slip in some credits. You don´t just buy a ticket to Peru and pack a box full of bike parts and camping equipment, tons of people have helped me along.

First of all, thanks to my friend Kole, for describing Peru as such an interesting place, but not too much, so I´d have some left to discover myself. Kole´s schtick is pretty great too, he´s fed me two pretty hilarious and borderline dangerous lies mixed in with 300-400 legit facts about Peru and the Spanish language. But he was nice enough to come clean before the trip.

Thanks to my friend Scott, a much more hardcore traveler than myself. Can´t believe what he pulled living in and traveling across China. PRC can´t touch his way of life.

Thanks to Ariel, a former Chicagoan who´s on a bicycle tour of over a year and counting. She just did a similar stretch in Peru, so there was no better person to give advice. Good luck cycling Brazil! Blog here.

Thanks to Justin and Aaron from college, for traveling along the first week. Really helped with the culture shock and scams, and had tons of fun. Lima, and costal Peru had the toughest people in my opinion. I can´t believe Aaron made Peru his first foreign country experience, way to skip right to hard mode.

Thanks to Wheellife for keeping bicycle touring hilarious. Ugh, wish their website was still up. They had a pet goldfish in a water bottle all the way from London to Turkey. Then a badly behaved pet monkey in a cage for 10km in Pakistan. You might get the idea from this.

Thanks most of all to the people of Peru for putting up with me. I talk a lot of shit, but I´m the most naive person here. They´re so friendly, I never felt like I was traveling alone.

Thanks to Alex Wilson and West Town Bikes of Chicago, for teaching me all the good practices of bicycle mechanics. It was all hackjobs for me before that.

Thanks to Working Bikes of Chicago for teaching me even more bike mechanics. I used one of Jonathan´s tricks daily in the jungle.

Thanks to Orbitz for actually paying for part of my ticket as an employee perk, and possibly even taking me back as an employee after 7 weeks of vagabonding.

Thanks to South American Explorers for their advice, storage, and a safe place in Cusco to put my bike together.

No comments:

Post a Comment