Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bar Brawls

As I said, we got locked out of the hostel the first night upon returing from a club at 3am, so we wandered around central Lima for a few hours, climbing buildings and avoiding shadowy groups of people down unlit streets.

Eventually we found this door, two blocks from our hostel with stairs to a third floor, and music going on. It was completely empty and they were buffing the floor, but still were happy to serve us, and we chatted up the bartender, Christina for a while. The cook was about to leave, but made us the best calamari I´ve ever had.

Eventually this guy comes over with no knowledge of English and starts telling us all sorts of complicated things about Lucha Libre wrestling, he´s wasted and a wrestler himself. In Peru, beer comes in 32oz bottles and you all share it, so he bought one to share with us as he´s stumbling around.

While we´re on our last cup, he tries to pay and they catch him trying to pass a falso 100 soles bill ($30). Serious cash for Peruvians, we can´t even get change for them 5 out of 6 times. I pulled out one of mine to compare and it looks and feels identical, but then Christina licked a certain spot on mine and a small black line showed up, but not on his. He has no means to pay for tab, probably around $10, so they´re arguing, and I tried to learn as much angry spanish as I could. Eventually they tell me to go away, so I found this ladder to the roof, at dawn which I thought was pretty cool.

I come back down, and get scolded for going on the roof by some woman, now 4:30am who comes out of a hidden door. When I returned to the table, our buddy is now in a headlock on the floor by Christina´s husband. I stare dumbfounded for a while, almost having poor enough taste to take a photo, and Christina starts punching the guy in the face. Then people start coming out of everywhere, there´s a shirtless heavier guy, the lady and a few others. They eventually released him and his bloody nose. Christina stands there saying, ¨Tu malo person¨ about 40 times.

We decide its time to go, so we pay, probably too much but not far too much, and leave. After that, Christina runs after me with my sweatshirt I forgot at the bar, crying. Down the street there´s a crowd of tourists, and I said, ¨Hey, you guys want to go to a cool bar?¨

Internet is over, till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment