Friday, September 25, 2009

Sick as a Dog

We´re in Huanchaco now, a surfing and fishing town next to Trujillo. After one day of surfing and happiness and meeting really fit expat girls on the beach the crew is in a rough state today. We´re all feeling sick, and despite this, Justin partied all night with locals until 7am. He is Sid Vicious reincarnate!

48 hours ago I did laundry, and in the last 30 nearly bedridden hours I shat my way through all my bottom halves. I´m now in boardshorts waiting for laundry round two, but that´s socially acceptable here, the boardshorts anyways.

I´m ready to organ donate my bladder cause this is bullshit, it´s become useless. The first night I drank 2.5 liters of water spread out after bathroom breaks and still felt dehydrated. It´s been better since then.

Good news though, the drug store here is a dream compared to the United States, especially if the medicine works. All I did was walk across the street, say hello and ask for a lil medicamento for la diarrea. No prescription, no referral, no Aetna POS II network, no line, no waiting, no high cost, no FSA Debit card, no pre-existing conditions--it was a dollar a dose, or three Peruvian bus rides. In and out in 2 minutes. The oxycontin was a little more expensive. Just kidding.

A dollar a dose also came with some advice,
-No fruit!!
-Rice!
-No pizza
-???? didn´t understand
-???? soup, blah blah blah
-Drink gatorade, even though nobody sells it

Next stop is Huaraz, 3000+ meters elevation, hope I can heal up before then. I got some good stories about scams, prostitutes, and whore houses that we stumbled upon in our last hours in Lima, but I´m waiting for a better state of mind to write about it. A teaser: I´m so glad to be bedridden here instead of the place with matresses wrapped in plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment