Sunday, September 20, 2009

So far so good

I´m in Peru, took the redeye from Miami and got in at 5am. I was impressed by the modern looking airport, just like any airport you´d see in America.

During the landing I could see basically shipping containers arranged in a neighborhood fashion, I thought for sure they were mostly unused or just on the outskirts, but after getting in our cab we started rolling heading for the hostel and it stretched on for miles and miles of squalor. I thought the whole city was going to be like that, but we took some turns and suddenly everything was clean and historic.

I´ve gotten so much mileage out of my 90 word Spanish vocabulary so far, it´s been great. Some people are more accessible than others with broken Spanish, but pretty much everyone doesn´t know English or sucks at it. I´d say only two conversations have ended in utter confusion, and I´m chatting up everyone.

Yesterday we did tons of things you can´t do in America,
-Purchased contacts without a perscription
-Asked directions from a guard with an AK-47
-Ate a three person meal with 200 ounces of beer for $10
-Partied until 7am (locked out of the hostel)
-Catacomb tour with a pit of just skulls 10m deep

The street markets are INSANE and stretch on for miles. There´s a massive parking garage thing full of people cutting up chickens, fish, and pigs and at some places selling meals of it fresh. The whole place smells like rotten fish, just like what you can order, called ceviche. The whole city smelled like piss when I got here, but I got used to it.

Getting kicked off the internet, stay tuned for a bar brawl story next time ´round!

No comments:

Post a Comment